More recently, it seems as though politics has been transformed into an intense focus on immediate victory, the system be damned. We have seen behavior in national and local politics where those in power changed the rules to the disadvantage of those out of power (or about to come into power) simply because they could. As stewards of your capital, we see these ominous and widening social divides as risks to the economy and even to the system. Politicians have been putting self-interest and party ahead of country. Absent facts, truth, and science, we expect poor governmental decisions to become the rule and not the exception. There is no hedge to such risks, other than to work together to reverse course, heal the divides, and strengthen American democracy.“Letter to investors 2019”, Seth Klarman
by Sanjay Perera
As they keep pushing their agenda to extremes the oligarchy is facing its inevitable market correction. And it is not going to stop there. The recent protests by Canadian truckers against health mandates and the infamous vaccine mandate are making an impact. We are told:
The initial motivation for the convoy was an announcement last year that truckers crossing the US-Canada border would need to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. But the protesters’ demands have grown to an end for all vaccine mandates, and even the toppling of the Trudeau government.
‘I apologize if I’m bashing the guy [Trudeau] but honestly, from my assessment he’s got a .22 caliber mind in a .357 world,’ said Marazzo a software developer and former member of the Canadian military.
‘Put us at the table with somebody who actually cares about Canada,’ he said.
The message from the Ottawa protesters has spread across the country and to the United States, where similar convoys are expected to arise. Late last week, Ottawa police said that the crowdfunding for the Canadian convoy had amassed considerable funding support from US individuals and groups.The Guardian
It is further said:
This latest act in a week-long show of civil disobedience is more akin to political life in France or the U.S. That it happened in restrained Canada is a signal to the political class across the West: Large swaths of humanity are done with Covid-19 restrictions, mandates and excessive meddling in their lives. They want to go back to making their own health-risk assessments…
For two years the truckers were classified as ‘essential’ workers and therefore exempt from vaccine mandates. An estimated 85% of them are vaccinated. Yet Liberal Party Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who heads a minority government, has chosen this moment to order that truckers be vaccinated if they want to cross back into the country from the U.S…
The lesson for the Covid-19 police is that when you’ve lost even Canadians, arguably the most law-abiding people on the planet, you’ve lost the political plot. Time to adopt a new strategy more tolerant of the need to return to life not dominated by pandemic fear and government commands.The Wall Street Journal
Robert Torteous arrived in Ottawa on Friday from Flesherton, Ontario, a community about 320 miles away. He said he planned to stay for the weekend. He declined to say whether he was vaccinated, characterizing the question as ‘discrimination,’ and said he was opposed to mandates.
‘When you don’t give people choices about what they do with their own bodies, it’s a big problem,’ he said.
Jeff, a truck driver in Toronto who does not drive cross-border routes, said he has been out of work since October because he is not vaccinated.
‘There’s no reason for them to force this inoculation on me,’ he said, declining to give his last name.
The demonstrations — which have drawn praise from Fox News personalities, former president Donald Trump and Tesla founder Elon Musk — have left residents on edge.The Washington Post
And it is reported:
On Facebook, the hashtag #TruckersConvoy2022 has garnered almost 2 million interactions over the last two weeks, according to CrowdTangle, a data analytics tool owned by Meta, Facebook’s parent company. Private Facebook groups dedicated to the convoy have also seen fast growth, with the main group collecting nearly 150,000 members since it started two weeks ago. A second group, dedicated to the efforts in the United States, has gained 50,000 members in the last week…
Over the last two weeks, the activists have shifted from calling for supplies to be sent to Canada, to trying to mobilize and support a convoy of truckers in the United States, according to social media conversations viewed by The Times.
Anti-vaccine activists have formed dozens of Telegram chat groups in each state, with many dedicated to specific counties. Members of those groups are trying to build local support and gather supplies for the truckers as they pass through.
On Telegram, one California-based group began discussing how to stock food and other supplies for truckers participating. One person offered their property just south of Sacramento as a base, or launching point for the truckers to gather.
‘It’s time for us to fight this war the enemy has declared,’ the person wrote, underneath a post that suggested that the trucker’s convoy in the United States could disrupt everything from postal routes to the supply chain that delivers food to supermarkets.
Wrote another member of the group: ‘Brace yourselves, let’s make this big enough so every American feels it.’
Mr. Brase, a third-generation trucker who organizes an annual event called Ten Four D.C. that brings big rigs to Washington, said in an interview with The New York Times that the U.S. convoy was meant to show support for American health care workers, police and military personnel who are facing vaccine mandates.
‘The convoy is for everyone,’ he said, ‘and to support the loved ones of truckers while we are on the road.’…
Rodica Stricescu, 64, a caregiver in a nursing home, came to Ottawa with her daughter from Windsor, Ontario, about an eight-hour drive away. Ms. Stricescu, who moved to Canada from Romania in 1995 in the aftermath of Communism’s fall, said her protest was about affirming freedom, not the intricacies of vaccine mandates.
‘I ran from Communism to be here — I don’t want the same situation to happen here,’ she said. She said she had felt forced to get vaccinated because of her workplace, and she was not happy about it.
Many of the protesters also framed their quest as a matter of personal freedom.
‘It’s been a long few years here. I’ve seen a lot of government overreach,’ said William Swinimer, 29, a trucker from Halifax, Nova Scotia, who said he was attending a protest for the first time. ‘I don’t think we should give up our Canadian way of life.’
Nicole Vandelaar, 31, a hairdresser who said she was not vaccinated, came to the protest with her father, a dairy farmer. She said lockdowns and other restrictions were creating a mental health crisis — and high rates of depression — in Canada.
‘That’s the real pandemic,’ Ms. Vandelaar said.The New York Times
The usual palaver by those who support free market economics (and that includes most western governments) has been that there is that Invisible Hand which adjusts according to demand and supply, and the vagaries of human choices. Yet the coordinated and virtually monolithic attempt by many governments (puppets of the oligarchy) to go against our freedom of choice should make those whose synapses have not been clogged by the harmful effect of forced vaccines and other mandates realise that something is not quite right.
Which brings us to all that talk by economic departments and others that the best outcome for people and economies is to allow the Invisible Hand of Adam Smith free play. If there were any restrictions on market freedom it should have to do with levelling the playing field by those in government to allow the less wealthy a chance to do better for themselves: yet the irony is that it is the workers, and the middle classes in empathy with them, who are standing up for greater freedom and the need to be able to make our own choices. It looks like government (and their controllers) are really the problem.
Confusion about the Invisible Hand abound. Still, it is always the case that when things get out of hand especially by those self-interested to the point of exploiting others ruthlessly and conducting affairs in a genuinely unethical manner: some form of balance is required. And happens; market corrections. Despite great difficulties, when people act in a spirit of the highest good for all by going against draconian restrictions and enforced mandates that violate the Nuremberg Code—and what are effectively internationally coordinated crimes against humanity—a difference in the right direction can be made.
It is important to note what the Nuremberg Code states and the extent to which it is violated through the vaccine and health mandates going on:
- The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential. This means that the person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision. This latter element requires that before the acceptance of an affirmative decision by the experimental subject there should be made known to him the nature, duration, and purpose of the experiment; the method and means by which it is to be conducted; all inconveniences and hazards reasonably to be expected; and the effects upon his health or person which may possibly come from his participation in the experiment. The duty and responsibility for ascertaining the quality of the consent rests upon each individual who initiates, directs, or engages in the experiment. It is a personal duty and responsibility which may not be delegated to another with impunity.
- The experiment should be such as to yield fruitful results for the good of society, unprocurable by other methods or means of study, and not random and unnecessary in nature.
- The experiment should be so designed and based on the results of animal experimentation and a knowledge of the natural history of the disease or other problem under study that the anticipated results will justify the performance of the experiment.
- The experiment should be so conducted as to avoid all unnecessary physical and mental suffering and injury.
- No experiment should be conducted where there is an a priori reason to believe that death or disabling injury will occur; except, perhaps, in those experiments where the experimental physicians also serve as subjects.
- The degree of risk to be taken should never exceed that determined by the humanitarian importance of the problem to be solved by the experiment.
- Proper preparations should be made and adequate facilities provided to protect the experimental subject against even remote possibilities of injury, disability, or death.
- The experiment should be conducted only by scientifically qualified persons. The highest degree of skill and care should be required through all stages of the experiment of those who conduct or engage in the experiment.
- During the course of the experiment the human subject should be at liberty to bring the experiment to an end if he has reached the physical or mental state where continuation of the experiment seems to him to be impossible.
- During the course of the experiment the scientist in charge must be prepared to terminate the experiment at any stage, if he has probable cause to believe, in the exercise of the good faith, superior skill and careful judgment required of him that a continuation of the experiment is likely to result in injury, disability, or death to the experimental subject.
The resulting protests and the blowback that will occur from now on against the oligarchy in its overreaching virus and vaccine scam will be seen as an act of God in retrospect. And that is essentially the force of the Invisible Hand at work which Smith went on about (for the context of this remark, please see: “The invisible hand: the natural order of things”.) And before long, on many levels, it will be clear that the Invisible Hand has been visible all along.
[Featured picture: Nuremberg Trials; historylearning]
The writer is the founding editor of Philosophers for Change.
If publishing or re-posting this article without kindly use the entire piece, credit the writer and this website: Philosophers for Change, philosophersforchange.org. Thanks for your support.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.